Adirondack Chair

| |
Id heard from many a woodworker that an Adirondack Chair is one of the most comfortable chairs for the garden you can find but looking at them you wouldnt think so.
I have scoured the internet for designs and they are many and varied.
For my first attempt I decided on a classic design and re-vamped it a little on Auto-cad, very useful for scale drawings. If you havent got access to Auto-cad, or prefer to use plans already created, there are many available. Some are free, and some you can actually pay for full size templates to cut your wood to.
The photo below shows the finished product and, I have to say, is extremely comfortable. The chair is made from Cedar and stained with a mixture of Mahogany and Oak stain. I didnt use any other treatment as we are lucky enough to have a rather large covered patio. If you want to leave furniture like this exposed to the elements, I would suggest products such as Yacht varnish, or one of the Sickens outdoor products. The Sickens products come in Natural as well as tinted, and look very tasty.
Now my wife would say that Im too fussy, but I would say if a jobs worth doing, well you know the rest.
The construction is simple screw and glue, but all the screw holes have been plugged with the same wood and where possible I try to align the grain. I find that plugging all the holes not only looks better but is more practical  for cleaning and finishing.
Its a project well worth having a go at and with a bit of patience cold be carried out with simple hand and power tools.
I will try to find the link to the design I used and add it to the blog. 
Happy woodworking.

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment